Above all in these challenging times we have each other – we are a strong and connected community and will stay that way throughout.
During this crisis all services will be live-streamed on Facebook. Services starting at their usual times.
Dear members and friends
We are delighted that the WA Government has started easing the COVID-19 restrictions. Starting Monday 18 May, Temple David will take steps toward re-opening. This will be a gradual process and in compliance with state regulations. Our COVID-19 Management Group, the Board, and the Rabbi will continue to monitor the changing circumstances and will advise you accordingly.
In the first instance, all areas of the buildings will be thoroughly cleaned by professional cleaners (this includes the Ronald Taft Hall (TDRS) and the Function Centre).
Shabbat services will recommence in Temple David sanctuary. We would love to see you all in shul but at this time numbers are restricted to 20 participants. Priority will be given to members who are observing a Yahrzeit, an anniversary or a life-cycle event – we are sure you understand. Other members are welcome to ‘RSVP’ to the office saying they would like to attend a particular service and will be ‘accepted’ on a ‘first come/first served’ basis after those accepting call-ups.
While we are not allowed to have free participation, to enable all our members and friends to take part, services will continue to be live-streamed on the Temple David public Facebook page.
Please bring your own Siddur (prayer book) ‘Mishkan T’filah’ with you as we cannot disinfect our prayer books after services. We have new copies of the Siddur in stock that you can purchase for $AU80. Contact Sue in the office. Only paid copies will be available for collection before the service. You may also purchase the Siddur in a digital format on Amazon (Please make sure to get the ‘World Union Edition’).
We have clarified with the appropriate authorities that TDRS can operate at the same time as services are being conducted at the sanctuary. We ask for your understanding that as we are restricted to 20 people in any one space, TDRS is not permitted to join for the Kiddush.
The Kiddush will be held at the entrance to the sanctuary and in the board room to allow proper social distancing. The Challah will be cut beforehand.
The Bimah, podium and the ark will be cleaned before and after services.
KABBALAT SHABBAT, FRIDAY 6:30PM (FROM FRIDAY 22 MAY)
- We can have 20 participants including the service leaders.
- Participation upon RSVP to the office.
- The service will be live streamed on Facebook. Only the service leaders will be in the frame.
SHABBAT MORNING SERVICE, SATURDAY 10:30AM (FROM SATURDAY 23 MAY)
- We can have 20 participants including the service leaders.
- The service will be live streamed on Facebook.
- If you have an Aliya L’Torah (call up) and you do not wish to be on the Facebook live service, please inform Rabbi Cohen before the service.
- With a Minyan (10 Jewish participants over the age of Bat/Bar Mitzvah) Rabbi Cohen will conduct a full service including the Amidah, the Torah service and the mourners Kaddish.
While we resume our educational activities, we understand that some students (adult or children) may prefer not to physically attend the activity. Please inform your teacher (for TDRS contact Helen Bryant, TDRS Coordinator) if you or your children are not attending classes. While we will need to utilize various spaces in the building to keep to a maximum of 20 participants in any one space and to ensure social distancing, please note: the Rabbi’s office may not be used as a classroom and the boardroom will accommodate no more than ten people.
TEMPLE DAVID RELIGIOUS SCHOOL (TDRS), GUIDELINES
- Only 20 people can be present in the Ronald Taft Hall; that includes teachers, assistant teachers, parents and students – all must maintain social distance.
- TDRS is welcome to use the Function Centre – again, up to 20 people maintaining social distance.
- The staff and participants will be instructed to refrain from any form of physical contact and reminded about the importance of social distancing.
- TDRS morning service (prayer circle) is restricted to 20 participants including prayer leaders, teachers and adults – if necessary, a second prayer circle will be held.
- All participants and staff are required to use hand sanitizer upon entering the building and are encouraged to wash their hands throughout the day.
- In the classrooms (and Function Centre) tables and chairs will be spaced out 1.5 meters apart.
- TDRS participants cannot join either the service in the synagogue or the community Kiddush due to participation restrictions.
ADULT LEARNING, GUIDELINES
- Introduction to Judaism – Classes will resume every first, third and fifth Wednesday of the month, 7-9pm, most likely in the sanctuary as Tae Kwon Do (considered a health class) will recommence in the Function Centre.
- Judaic studies – Classes may resume every first, third and fifth Wednesday of the month, 7-9pm, in the Board Room while maintaining social distance. Please wait for further instructions from your teachers.
- Hebrew - Classes may resume every second and fourth Wednesday of the month, 7-9pm, while maintaining social distance. Please wait for further instructions from your teachers.
- Yiddish Club may resume on Tuesdays at 12pm in the Board Room while maintaining social distancing. Please wait for further instructions from Carl Antonovsky.
- Food for thought will resume every Tuesday morning at 11am in the Board Room while maintaining social distancing.
- Torah Tea and Text will resume while maintaining social distancing. Please wait for further instructions from Helen Bryant.
- Talmudic Knights will resume every first Monday of the month, 7-9pm, in the Board Room while maintaining social distancing.
- Brain Food - At this point, meetings are still on hold until further notice.
Some social functions may be resumed under the following guidelines.
Dancing classes are permitted in the Function Centre with up to 20 participants while maintaining social distancing of 1.5 metres. Please contact Margaret Glenister for further information.
Meetings are permitted in the Function Centre with up to 20 participants while maintaining social distancing of 1.5 metres. Please contact Brenda Mowe for further information.
At this point, as it often attracts more than 50 people and most of the participants are on the highest risk group, the meetings remain on hold until further notice. The fabulous monthly newsletter is some recompense.
At this point, gatherings are still on hold until further notice.
- Temple David office is still open during working hours.
- Social distancing of 1.5 metres should always be kept at all functions.
- Please use hand sanitizers upon entering the building.
- For any further information about Temple activities, please contact the President, Jane Figgis (email@example.com) , or Rabbi Cohen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For further information regarding educational programs, please wait for further instructions or contact your teachers.
The Temple David board and Rabbi Cohen will continue to act upon the WA Government’s instructions and inform you about changing circumstances. While we all hope to see the COVID-19 restrictions come to an end, we are aware that as restrictions are lifted the results might take us backwards as well as forward. We value and appreciate your understanding and support throughout the past months and are looking forward to seeing all of you face to face and to be able to celebrate our Jewish life together at Temple David.
Jane Figgis, President Rabbi Adi Cohen
The Covid-19 Management Group is closely monitoring the ever-changing situation and following the advice of the West Australian Department of Health. You can view the most up-to-date information by clicking on the link below: https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Coronavirus